The blog will come to a grinding halt on August 17th, 2018 as the next phase in my life begins: college. However, before I go, I will be making the most of the time .
Aphorisms for the Moral Economist
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Treat other peoples' utility functions as your own
click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here click here clic...
When I was a kid I was good at school. That turned out to be way less important than I thought it would be. The basic school skills of memorization, arithmetic, and essay writing are fine things to develop. But this narrow range of training omitted many important skills that I would need in life. And worse, this curriculum left me squarely in middle of my comfort zone for 13 years, so I never had to develop the meta-skills of skill acquisition. I was cocky and complacent. When I hit the adult world, the adult world hit back. I was terribly unprepared to navigate its complexity. I found myself needing to develop, on the fly, a different skill-set from the one I had been taught. I needed to work on sensing opportunities, communicating my desires, detecting and removing fantasy from my world-model, attention management, making friends, letting go of resentment, and effective problem selection. 11 years navigating the turbulent currents of independent adult life is long enough that I�ve st...
A common obstacle in personal growth work is the fear of going too far. For example, I recently attended a retreat to learn how to be more open to connection with other human beings. I had an impulse to hold back. I thought, what if I�m 100% open to everybody? I live in a crowded city full of human suffering. My life would become unlivable if I stopped to take in the humanity of each person that I passed. I would have to become like Jesus or something. I see the same type of worry about �going all the way� among the participants in a workshop I teach based on the book Radical Honesty . Wouldn�t it be hard to live 100% honest all the time? As we stretch into new ways of being, the fear of going too far is mostly unfounded. Naturally, I�m about 5% open. Most people are probably ~10% honest (I�m just a little bit more, and I practice it). The chances are tiny that any person will achieve 100% openness or honesty even for a second. The purpose of personal growth activities is to give ours...
Comments
Post a Comment